The world is going mobile-mobile-mobile.
In the annual Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB) 2013 Internet Trends report – as presented by Partner Mary Meeker at the All Things Digital D11 Conference – Mary continued her 2012 theme of "The re-imagination of nearly everything – powered by new devices + connectivity + UI + Beauty."
From our spherical photo/social/mobile perspective, these highlights suggest we're skating to where the puck is headed (to borrow from Wayne Gretzky).
- Photos – "Explosive Growth, But Still Early Stage" [Slide 12]
- Photos – "500 million+ Uploaded & Shared Per Day: Growth Accelerating" [Slide 14]
- Mobile Internet – More Chinese access the web via mobile than desktop [Slide 33]
- Smartphone Subscriber Growth = 1.5B Subscribers (of 5B+ mobile phones), 31% growth, 21% penetration in 2013 estimate; China (354 million) and the US (219 million) lead the pack [Slide 40]
- US Smartphones = 58% of all mobile phone subscribers in the US [Slide 40]
- China Smartphones = 29% of all mobile phone subscribers in China [Slide 40]
- Global Smartphones = 29% Samsung, 22% Apple and 49% all others in 4Q12 [Slide 42]
- Tablet Growth = More rapid than Smartphones: iPad = about 3x iPhone growth curve of first 12 quarters of each product [Slide 44]
- Table Shipments = Surpassed desktop PCs & notebooks in 4Q12 (after just 3 years of intro) [Slide 45]
- China - iOS + Android users surpassed US in 1Q13 [Slide 67]
- Re-Imagination of Basic Business Process – Airbnb turning private-owned properties into hotel experience [Slide 105]
Here is the entire slide presentation by KPCB's Mary Meeker »