Sometimes a moment is irreplaceable. Sometimes a place is inaccessible.
Photo and video only capture part of the story, making them poor substitutes.
We're developing teleportation so that you can be there, anywhere, anytime.
Sphere provides an extensible, best-in-class recording technology that can be easily integrated into smartphones, social media applications, and third-party peripherals like the Motrr Galileo. This breakthrough technology is more accurate while recording — and produces higher quality results — than any other solution on the market.
A spherical image without the right means of delivery is just a flat photo. Because this standard format requires a special type of viewer, we also provide the world's leading, agnostic sphere delivery platform. Thanks to special integration with brands like Twitter, spheres are easily and natively introduced into any social dialogue, web page and more.
Sphere is trusted by brands like Samsung and Sony for spherical recording and delivery. Reaching 67M people by Q2 2014, Sphere is now rolling out as a preinstalled app on smartphones and smart cameras — and more often than not — is coming as a native mode within their camera apps too. The company has also licensed to 60+ travel brands like HomeAway and Royal Caribbean, further supporting the platform's distribution initiative. Within 12 months, Sphere is expected to reach 150M consumers.
By integrating Sphere as a recording mode in native camera and social media apps, consumers are offered a valuable and convenient, new way to communicate. And by connecting this mode to the Sphere platform, this value extends to publishing — where they can view and share content with millions of other enthusiasts including their friends, favorite celebrities and organizations such as exotic travel destinations.
Our 5–person, San Francisco-based team has been carefully organized to unite the very best in computer vision, app and website development, data processing, and user experience design. We killed it at PhoCusWright, winning every major award, performed the first ever clean sweep of awards at DEMO (including a $1M media prize), and took home Best of Show at Macworld / iWorld.
Balazs Vagvolgyi, Chief Scientist
- Image/Video Processing Scientist; Real-time Data Processing and Analysis; Multithreading; Software Development; and System Design
- Formerly at the Engineering Research Center for CISST — a multi-disciplinary research institution funded by the National Science Foundation and hosted by the Johns Hopkins University; Also a former Systems Engineer at GE Healthcare VSE
- Extensive experience with Systems Engineering; Computer Vision, Image Processing; ANSI C/C++, POSIX; Objective-C; Visual C++ Win32, MFC; Xcode; Pascal; Assembly; Multithreading; CMake; VTK; CVS; Matlab; Latex; HTML, CSS
- Masters in Computer Science (Image Processing) from the University of Veszprem, Hungary
Charles Armstrong, Chief Executive
- Founding team member of 35-person ad agency, SPARK
- Inventor / co–inventor of 17 imaging and mobile technology patents
- Four years’ experience building a hyperspectral imaging marketplace
- Magna Cum Laude (with Honors) from the Maryland Institute College of Art
Wojtek Sczygiol, Senior Mobile Engineer
- Former Lead Engineer at EyeEm.com (photo sharing community, 3M users, 13M photos), having built theiPhone app from ground up
- Former Lead Engineer at Edupath.com, developing the iPhone app and co-developed the Django-based backend and CMS system
- 12 years of Java/C/POSIX/OpenGL/GLSL coding experience;
6 years of Nokia J2ME and iOS mobile engineering experience;
6 years of Linux/VPN/Postfix/Apache/Postgres admin experience;
- B.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Bremen, Germany;
- Founding member of codekollektiv.com, a 12-person iOS development agency based in Berlin, Germany
Ram Khalsa, Data Architect & Android Engineer
- Experienced with cloud based, large scale image search, analytic and storage methodologies; Created cloud-based system for continuously ingesting, aggregating, and processing 140,000 records per second as well as providing sub-second query results across billions of records
- iOS and Android developer, with 4 years’ experience developing several popular apps
- Custom–tailored Android development for deep camera integration into Samsung and Sony products
- Masters in Computer Science from Johns Hopkins University and Certified Information Security Systems Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
Brian Foshee, Rails & iOS Engineer
- B.S. in Computer Engineering and a B.S. in Computer Science from the University of South Florida
- Responsible for content search and featuring/selection algorithms
- 6 years of iOS development experience
- Developed an automated iPhone and iPad app generation, compiling and submission service for photography portfolios
Three companies deliver spherical image recording + publishing natively within mobile devices: Google, Microsoft and Sphere. Notably, Apple's continuous capture panoramic photography mode is not spherical or even cylindrical. Google's PhotoSphere can only be found preinstalled on Nexus smartphones. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Photosynth only comes preinstalled on Windows handsets. But what about the rest of us? How can anyone else compete — and differentiate itself — in the spherical photography race? Sphere is the answer.
Backed by 20 pending patents, Sphere's solutions to optical tracking, image mapping, blending, processing, and its devotion to the user experience have earned our company notable recognition from the tech industry's most trusted publications.
"Truly impressive …significantly better than the competition."
"A viable alternative to Google's PhotoSphere."
— DP Review
Among these three technology providers, only Sphere:
• Licenses its recording technology to third-parties.
• Offers deep integration into native camera applications.
• Features continuous-capture scanning similar to Apple's panorama mode (but spherical instead).
• Includes an agnostic, social publishing platform.
With 10,000 people actively using Sphere's iOS app each day, the platform is off to a strong start. Over the next six months this number is expected to grow significantly as the company's lined-up hardware partners release their planned, Sphere-supported smartphones.
Once Sphere's expected audience has grown from 67M to 150M, the company is prepared to introduce sponsored content into its delivery stream. This content will exist not only within the Sphere app, but will also be delivered alongside those spheres shared through social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
What makes the Sphere model so special is that these advertisements will be spheres themselves (a good sphere is a great ad). Within the travel industry alone, spheres have been shown to increase booking conversion by 136%. Leveraging the team's strength in image and session analysis, along with some of Sphere's other proprietary, contextualizing algorithms, a seamless flow of sought-out and recommended content will set the new bar for "advertainment." With 14% engagement from the company's starting audience of 150M people and 33% retention after 90 days, the company will be able to price these more immersive advertisements well below traditional interstitials, and still reach $50M in annual revenue.
Our team is seeking the right, visionary investors to grow a multi-billion dollar content platform. With the viral potential of a popular social media platform, the business appeal of better marketed properties, and an avalanche of support from hardware manufacturers, we are VERY excited by what the future holds. To get there, we are organizing a $3M A round to expand our engineering team and create a biz dev task force. Please contact founder Charles Armstrong if you're interested in meeting the team.
Some of Our Existing Investors and Advisors
General Catalyst (through investment note award)
Philippe Bourguignon, Chairman of Revolution Places
Philip Wolf, Founder of PhoCusWright
Michele Sarkisian, former Maritz SVP of Enterprise Solutions Group
Robert "Bob" Alter, Sunstone Hotel Investors
Jim Hornthal, Hornthal Investment Partners